During a special parliamentary session on Monday afternoon, the Kenyan president said he will attend the status conference on 8 October as a Kenyan citizen.
“Let it not be said that I am attending the status conference as the President of Kenya. To those concerned that my attendance compromises the sovereignty of our people, be assured this is not the case,” Kenyatta said.
The president added that in his absence, his deputy William Ruto – who is also facing trial at The Hague – will be acting president.
“I wish to reiterate that my conscious is clear and I am innocent of all the allegations levelled against me… When the prosecutor admitted that the evidence was not enough to proceed with the case, I expected that the case would be dropped,” Kenyatta added.
Last month, ICC judges ordered Kenyatta to attend a hearing over how to proceed with his trial. The status conference could either adjourn the case or drop the charges against Kenyatta.
The Kenyan president is allegedly criminally responsible as an indirect co-perpetrator murder pursuant, deportation or forcible transfer, rape, persecution and other inhumane acts.
Kenyatta’s lawyers had earlier last month requested the ICC judges to drop charges against him stating that if Fatou Bensouda, chief prosecutor, is granted yet another chance to adjourn Kenyatta’s case it will be a violation of his rights due to access to a fair trial and delayed justice.