The militants are believed to be behind the killing of 28 passengers on a Nairobi destined bus from Mandera.
“Following the Mandera bus attack, our security forces swiftly initiated a response. They identified, followed and struck the perpetrators of these heinous crimes,” Kenya’s Deputy President William Ruto said in a statement.
“Two successful operations were carried out against the perpetrators of these murderous executions across the border. Our retaliatory action left in its trail more than 100 fatalities. It also destroyed four technicals and the camp from which this crime was planned.”
On Saturday morning, Somali insurgent group al-Shabaab seized a bus carrying 60 people and killed 19 men and nine women who allegedly were not able to recite verses from the Koran. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the killings shortly after the incident and said that it was in retaliation for raids carried out in mosques last week by Kenyan security officers in the Coastal part of the country.
“As you are all aware, we continue to be a target of international terrorist groups and their affiliates. Following the Mandera attack, claims were made, by no other than the Al-Shabaab that the atrocities visited upon the innocent citizens were a retaliatory attack against the alleged take-over of mosques by the security forces,” Ruto said.
Security officers raided three mosques in Mombasa, arrested over 200 people and one person was killed during the first raids on 17 November. During the raids, officers seized several petrol bombs, hand grenades and assorted ammunition.
The attack is the deadliest carried out by the militant group after they carried out a spate of attacks more than four months ago in a town in the coastal area leaving over 100 dead.
However, reports indicate that the country’s intelligence service informed security agencies that at least 15 Somali insurgents had crossed into the country last week.
Since 2012, Kenya has seen an increase in terrorist attacks in various cities. This has resulted to travel advisories issued by the United Kingdom, United States, France and Australia.
Last year, al-shabaab killed at least 67 people in one of Nairobi’s mall – a significant escalation in the scale of attacks.
Kenyan troops crossed into southern Somalia in 2011 to fight the al-Shabaab.