Kenyatta fires top security chief after recent al-Shabaab attacks - CNBC Africa

Kenyatta fires top security chief after recent al-Shabaab attacks

East Africa

by Elayne Wangalwa 0

Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta has appointed a new cabinet secretary for interior and co-ordination of national government.

President Uhuru Kenyatta has fired Joseph Ole-Lenku and nominated former military personnel, Joseph Nkaissery as the new cabinet secretary, who will be manning the country’s security docket.

In addition, Inspector General David Kimaiyo tendered his resignation early in the day amid growing calls for his resignation over continued terror attacks.

In his address to the nation this afternoon, President Kenyatta noted that the acts of aggression would not deter his government’s efforts to build a safe and secure Kenya.

"Innocent Kenyan lives have been lost, in a most harrowing manner, to these animals. Too many lives, too painfully snuffed out. Again, I extend condolences to the families of all Kenyans who lost their lives in the hands of terrorists. My government continues to extend support to you, and we pray that God gives you His divine solace, and comforts each of you in this painful moment,” Kenyatta said.

On Tuesday morning, at least 36 people were killed by suspected al-Shaabab militants barely two weeks after another attack in the northern part of Kenya.

Al-Shabaab militants are reported to have raided a camp at a quarry site in Mandera County on Tuesday morning and ordered all non-Muslims to line up before shooting the victims and decapitating some.

(READ MORE: Gunmen kill 36 workers in a Kenyan quarry near Somalia border)

The victims are said to be ambushed at the site as they slept in the wee hours of the morning.

Elsewhere, on Monday, one person was killed in a gun attack still in the northern part of the country - Wajir County- after gunmen raided a club less than a kilometer away from a police station and injured more than 10 people.

Last month the Somali insurgent group seized a bus carrying 60 people and killed 19 men and nine women who allegedly were not able to recite verses from the Koran. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the killings shortly after the incident and said that it was in retaliation for raids carried out in mosques last week by Kenyan security officers in the coastal part of the country.

Kenya has experienced a spate of grenades, bombs and armed attacks since 2012. The main threat is from extremists linked to al-Shabaab, a militant group in Somalia angered by Kenya’s military intervention in the war torn country. Kenyan troops crossed into southern Somalia in 2011 to fight al-Shabaab.