At least hundreds of students are still unaccounted for following a gun attack at Moi University, Garissa campus.
So far only 280 of 815 students have been accounted for more than eight hours since the siege began in the north eastern university.
The attack which started at 05:30am EAT has been claimed by the Islamic insurgent group al-Shabaab. This is the deadliest attack carried out in East Africa’s biggest economy this year.
(READ MORE: UPDATE: Gunmen storm Kenyan university in Garissa, death toll at 17)
The militant group said that they separated Muslims from non-Muslims in a similar tactic they have used many times before.
Unconfirmed reports now indicate that the government is offering a five million Kenyan shilling bounty for Mohammed Kuno also known as Gamaghere who is alleged to have masterminded the attack.
President Uhuru Kenyatta has said that his government will deal mercilessly with the terrorists who were responsible for today’s attack.
"I assure the Nation that my government has undertaken appropriate deployment to the affected area and is fully in charge of the situation. I also urge Kenyans to stay calm as we resolve this matter and to provide the authorities with any information they may have in connection with any threats to our security," Kenyatta said today in reponse to the attack.
From the US embassy bombing in 1998 that killed over 200 people, to the infamous Westgate siege in 2013 that left over 60 dead, Kenya has been a target of terror attacks from the Somali insurgent group and several other attacks last year that left about 200 people dead and scores injured.
Following warnings of imminent attacks by the United Kingdom and Australia a few days ago, the government of Kenya dismissed these alerts as acts of economic sabotage against the country.
(READ MORE: Kenyatta’s travel advisory hit back backfires amid attack)
“We are now fed up with these threats that we keep getting of travel advisories. We want to encourage especially our brothers and sisters from this continent. We want to encourage our own brothers and sisters to travel more… Help us promote this country and tell them it is safe,” President Kenyatta said on Wednesday.