Allegedly this was to allow it to respond to a court challenge by one of the country's biggest mobile operators.
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa had planned to slash mobile termination rates by 50 per cent at the start of March but has now moved that date to May 1.
Last week, the regulator said it had received an official request from MTN Group asking for planned price cuts to be scrapped.
MTN's move came just days after rival Vodacom said it would launch its own legal challenge against the price cuts, which it said could cost it as much as 90 million US dollars in the coming financial year.
Last month ICASA said it would halve the rate a company can charge rivals for using its mobile network to 20 South African cents per minute per call from March1, with a further reduction to 10 cents by March 2016.