Coronavirus – Tanzania: COVID-19: Tanzania’s Cases now at 13 out of 273 Tested

Content provided by APO Group. CNBC Africa provides content from APO Group as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. CNBC Africa is not responsible for the content provided by APO Group.

Tanzania’s Ministry of Health has announced that confirmed cases that have tested positive for the coronavirus is now 13 out of the 273 in both Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar.

Making the announcement on a day when global death toll surpassed 21,000, Health Minister, Ms, Ummy Mwalimu said they had tested 243 suspected cases on the Mainland and 30 in Zanzibar.

“Out of the 273 samples taken 260 recorded a negative result whereas the other 13 were positive. However what is encouraging is that all the patients are doing well. One of the patients has actually healed leaving us with 12 cases under observation,” she said.

According to Ms. Mwalimu, eight of the cases are in Dar es Salaam, two in Zanzibar, two in Arusha and one in Kagera bringing the total number to 13 adding that they have stepped up screening of possible cases.

She said that of the 13 cases, eight are Tanzanians whereas five are foreign nationals, adding that 12 of these had travelled abroad.

“As we speak there is still no local transmission because even the single case who did not travel was infected by a case from abroad,” she said.

She added that the Government has set up 27 screening centers across the country at border points, airports and habours with 3,471 cases being screened in the past 24 hours alone.

So far, some 111 visitors and Tanzanians arriving from abroad since Monday March 23, have been quarantined at designated hotels in different parts of the country at their own expenses.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania Tel Aviv, Israel.Media filesDownload logo

Related Content

Rwanda leverages on technology in the fight against COVID-19

Rwanda Biomedical Centre has established a new Covid-19 testing laboratory in Rubavu district with capacity of running 400 Covid-19 samples per day to help contain the pandemic in the area. This is the second testing lab established in Western Province after Rusizi District with capacity of running 500 samples per day. CNBC Africa's Fiona Muthoni had a conversation with Dr. Nsanzimana Sabin, Director General of RBC.

ARC rolls out disaster insurance for Zimbabwe & Madagascar

Lesley Ndlovu, CEO of the ARC joins CNBC Africa for more.

West African consumer sentiment drops sharply as COVID-19 crisis deepens

Global data analytics company; Nielsen, says the COVID-19 pandemic has led to a sharp drop in consumer sentiment in West Africa in the second quarter of the year. Ged Nooy, Managing Director at Nielsen Nigeria joins CNBC Africa for more.

AfDB forecasts Africa’s growth in 2021

Updated forecasts from the African Development Bank show that Africa’s growth is expected to rebound to 3 per cent by 2021 from a 3.4 per cent contraction in 2020 in the worst-case-scenario. Hanan Morsy, Director for Macroeconomic Forecasting and Research at the AfDB joins CNBC Africa for more.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up for free newsletters and get more CNBC AFRICA delivered to your inbox

More from CNBC Africa

Africa urged to test more as coronavirus cases exceed 500,000

The African Union Commission said on Thursday it had launched a consortium for vaccine clinical trials to be headed by the Africa CDC, which aimed to secure more than 10 late stage vaccine clinical trials as early as possible.

Malawi’s new female cabinet ministers vow to push for jobs for women

Women now hold 39% of the ministerial and deputy minister roles in the cabinet appointed by Chakwera, 65, who unseated Peter Mutharika in a re-run presidential election last month, which compared to about 20% in the previous government.

Dow, S&P 500 end lower on fears over surging virus cases but Nasdaq hits record high

he Nasdaq hit another record high, however, helped by gains in Amazon.com (AMZN.O), Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) and Apple Inc (AAPL.O).

Eskom goes after contractors over R4bn Kusile over-payment

One of the power stations that were meant to be the saviour of South Africa’s power supply is causing controversy, even before it’s in full working order. In an explosive letter, Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan named contractors that he says Eskom over-paid by R4 billion, in the construction of Kusile power station. Sikonathi Mantshantsha, National Spokesperson of Eskom joins CNBC Africa for more

Partner Content

Maktech’s Godwin Makyao: Now Is A Time of Entrepreneurial Opportunity in East Africa

As an executive decision-maker in both the telecommunications and tourism industries, Godwin Makyao could not have experienced a more diverse set of...

Sanlam launches urgent job-preservation initiative in response to COVID-19

Sanlam Investments is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic through large-scale support of the recovery of South African companies, from small enterprises to...

Trending Now

Nigeria’s excess crude account held $72.41 million as of July 7: finance minister

ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria’s excess crude account held $72.41 million as of July 7, the country’s finance minister said on Thursday.

Nigeria’s President Buhari to sign revised 2020 budget into law on Friday -presidency

LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari will on Friday sign into law a 10.8 trillion naira ($28.38 billion) revised 2020 budget...

South Africa’s manufacturing output falls 49.4% year on year in April

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa’s manufacturing output fell 49.4% year on year in April during a nationwide lockdown, after contracting by a...

South African court dismisses appeal against SAA layoff ruling

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African court on Thursday dismissed an appeal by administrators in charge of South African Airways (SAA) against...
- Advertisement -