McKinsey to pay back R1bn to Eskom, Trillian not part of deal

Africa’s largest electricity supplier, Eskom has finalised a settlement agreement with the world’s largest management consultancy, McKinsey for R1 billion ($74 million).

As Trillian, was not party to the settlement, Eskom said it will continue to pursue the recovery of the remainder of the payments made to Trillian through a legal review process launched earlier this year.

Eskom asked the consultancy firms McKinsey and Trillian to pay it back 1.6 billion rand ($117 million), last year after an internal inquiry found that the state power utility’s decisions to make the payments were unlawful.

http://cnbc.africa/news/southern-africa/2017/10/06/south-africas-eskom-asks-mckinsey-trillian-return-117mn/

Last year South Africa’s political opposition party, the Democratic Alliance alleged McKinsey steered funds to Trillian, a company which at that time was connected to the Guptas, a trio of Indian businessmen who South Africa’s anti-graft watchdog has alleged used their links with than President Jacob Zuma to win government contracts.

The Guptas denied any wrongdoing, saying they were pawns in a plot against Zuma, who  also denied any wrongdoing.

McKinsey ended up earning around 1 billion rand and Trillian 564 million rand for a “Turnaround Plan” carried out at Eskom between January and July 2016.

McKinsey says it stopped working with Trillian after the company failed due diligence in March 2016.

The size of the contract – $120 million for six months of advice – was heavily-criticized.

U.S. business advisory Oliver Wyman found in a December 2016 report commissioned by Eskom that McKinsey’s contract with the utility was “very unusual” and charged fees at more than double market rates.

In a media statement, on Friday Eskom said “the process has taken longer than what would have been ideal however it was of importance that we ensure that an appropriate and transparent legal process is followed”.

“This is a significant milestone for the Board as we seek to fulfil what we see as our non-negotiable mandate to root out financial mismanagement and malfeasance as a critical foundation to restoring transparent and effective governance” said Jabu Mabuza, Eskom Board Chairman.

“We are thankful that this hard and difficult journey has yielded positive results. We are equally appreciative of the support and cooperation we have received from McKinsey and the AFU. This for us further demonstrates that we are serious about consequence management and achieving a renewed culture of accountability and good governance which is key to our sustained success,” said Eskom Group Chief Executive Phakamani Hadebe.

  • With additional reporting by Reuters

Related Content

COVID-19: Eskom declares force majeure on all its coal contractors

Two of the biggest names in energy in Africa are in a stand-off over a coal contract in these difficult days of COVID-19. Eskom has issued a force majeure notice against Exxaro and the more than 25 tons it was to supply the national power generator from its Grootgeluck mine in Limpopo. Exxaro says it will dispute the notice, but was unavailable for comment when contacted by CNBC Africa. But its seems its not only Exxaro that has the notice – it seems like the entire coal industry has been served by Eskom. Eskom Spokesperson, Sikonathi Mantshansha shares more details.

Mining to be scaled down during South Africa’s 21-day lockdown

The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy yesterday met key stakeholders in the mining and energy industries to consolidate plans to deal with the spread of COVID-19.

How SA’s lock-down impacts Eskom

Eskom says it has sufficient coals supply to continue as normal during the 21 day lock-down. But the troubled state power utility says it can’t promise there won’t be load shedding during the period. Eskom Spokesperson, Sikonathi Mantshantsha joins CNBC Africa for more.

Eskom says coal stocks healthy ahead of South Africa’s lockdown

South African power utility Eskom said on Wednesday that coal stocks at its power stations were healthy, with at least 20 days of supplies at all stations, before a nationwide lockdown over the coronavirus outbreak starting at midnight on Thursday.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up for free newsletters and get more CNBC AFRICA delivered to your inbox

More from CNBC Africa

Does the Competition Competition have capacity to clamp down on COVID-19 profiteering?

As South Africa sees a surge in COVID-19 infections, consumers are increasingly faced with overpriced products on the shelves. The Competition Commission continues to receive complaints, from customers who are already feeling the pinch. The question is, does the Competition Competition have the capacity to clamp down on price gouging? Joining CNBC Africa for this discussion is Makgale Mohlala, Head of Cartels at the Competition Commission and Shawn van der Meulen, Partner at Webber Wentzel.

Uganda’s central bank may cap commercial bank interest rates

KAMPALA (Reuters) - Uganda’s central Bank (BoU) has threatened to cap the interest that commercial banks can charge borrowers, after the industry...

Jambojet set to resume domestic flights on July 15

Jambojet gears up for local flight resumption; lower oil imports and higher tea exports spell current account improvement and the Central Bank invites bids for millions in treasury bonds. Journalist, Joseph Bonyo joins CNBC Afric for more.

Chamber launches business clinics to support women-led businesses

Rwanda’s women entrepreneurs arm under the private sector federation body has launched a series of business clinics with the aim of supporting women-led businesses affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. CNBC Africa spoke to Agnes Samputu, Executive Director of the Rwanda Chamber of Women Entrepreneurs for more.

Partner Content

Maktech’s Godwin Makyao: Now Is A Time of Entrepreneurial Opportunity in East Africa

As an executive decision-maker in both the telecommunications and tourism industries, Godwin Makyao could not have experienced a more diverse set of...

Sanlam launches urgent job-preservation initiative in response to COVID-19

Sanlam Investments is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic through large-scale support of the recovery of South African companies, from small enterprises to...

Trending Now

Africa urged to test more as coronavirus cases exceed 500,000

The African Union Commission said on Thursday it had launched a consortium for vaccine clinical trials to be headed by the Africa CDC, which aimed to secure more than 10 late stage vaccine clinical trials as early as possible.

Malawi’s new female cabinet ministers vow to push for jobs for women

Women now hold 39% of the ministerial and deputy minister roles in the cabinet appointed by Chakwera, 65, who unseated Peter Mutharika in a re-run presidential election last month, which compared to about 20% in the previous government.

Dow, S&P 500 end lower on fears over surging virus cases but Nasdaq hits record high

he Nasdaq hit another record high, however, helped by gains in Amazon.com (AMZN.O), Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) and Apple Inc (AAPL.O).

Eskom goes after contractors over R4bn Kusile over-payment

One of the power stations that were meant to be the saviour of South Africa’s power supply is causing controversy, even before it’s in full working order. In an explosive letter, Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan named contractors that he says Eskom over-paid by R4 billion, in the construction of Kusile power station. Sikonathi Mantshantsha, National Spokesperson of Eskom joins CNBC Africa for more
- Advertisement -