Ramaphosa declares national state of disaster over COVID-19

CAPE TOWN (Reuters) – South African president Cyril Ramaphosa declared a national state of disaster on Sunday as he announced a range of measures to contain a COVID-19 outbreak that has so far infected 61 and showed the first signs of internal transmission.

In a live television broadcast after a special cabinet meeting, Ramaphosa said the outbreak, first detected on March 5, could have a significant and “potentially lasting” impact on a struggling economy, which is already in recession.

Measures to be taken include travel bans to countries such as Italy, Germany, China and the United States. The government will also prohibit gatherings of more than 100 people and cancel large events and celebrations, he said.

“It is concerning we are now dealing with internal transmission of the virus. This situation calls for an extraordinary response, there can be no half measures,” Ramaphosa said.

He said government has cancelled visas to visitors from high-risk countries from Sunday, with previously granted visas also revoked.

“Any foreign national who has visited high-risk countries in the past 20 days will be denied a visa,” he said, adding that South Africans who visited targeted countries would be subjected to testing and quarantine when returning home.

First detected two weeks ago with a single positive result, the number of cases has risen to 61 by Sunday, a mushrooming rate that mirrors the rapid spread of the virus worldwide.

The health ministry said earlier it had conducted 1,476 tests, with no fatalities. On Sunday, one of South Africa’s top universities, Wits in the economic heartland Gauteng, instructed 350 students to immediately self-quarantine for two weeks after a classmate tested positive for COVID-19.

Besides the health impacts, Ramaphosa said the economy would not be spared as exports decline in key markets, including China, and the labour-intensive tourism sector suffers.

“Cabinet is therefore in the process of finalising a comprehensive package of interventions to mitigate the expected impact of COVID-19 on the economy,” he said.

(Reporting by Wendell Roelf; Editing by Jan Harvey and Alexander Smith)

This article was first published on Reuters Africa https://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKBN2130XH-OZATP and is republished with its permission.


Partner Content

VIRTUAL VDJ EXPOSES LOCAL CREATIVE AND ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY

The City of eThekwini pulled out all stops to give fans of the annual Vodacom Durban July (VDJ). The Virtual Vodacom Durban...

GAUTRAIN – Why It Matters

Economic growth continues to be one of the focus areas for the Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG) and the Gautrain responds to that...

Tata International concludes a securitization transaction for its African Subsidiaries

UAE financial centers act as a gateway to benefit African businesses GCC, July 13th, 2020: Tata International Limited (TIL)...

Uber launches its largest region-wide initiative in partnership with Mastercard

Uber, in partnership with Mastercard to provide 120,000 free trips to frontline workers in MEA, including South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Ivory Coast...

Trending Now

There may never be a ‘silver bullet’ for COVID-19, WHO warns

“There are many vaccines under trial, a couple in the final stage of clinical trials - and there is hope. It does not mean that we will have the vaccine, but at least the speed with which we reached the level we reached now is unprecedented,” he said.

Next big COVID-19 treatment may be manufactured antibodies

“Antibodies can block infectivity. That is a fact,” Regeneron Pharmaceuticals executive Christos Kyratsous told Reuters.

Seplat’s new CEO talks growth plans & half-year earnings

It’s a change of baton at Seplat, as the dual-listed oil and gas company on the London Stock Exchange and the Nigerian Stock Exchange gets a new CEO. Seplat Petroleum reported a 34 per cent decline in half-year revenue which the company says reflects the contribution of ELAND which was acquired at the end of 2019. Roger Brown, new CEO of Seplat joins CNBC Africa to discuss his plans for the company going forward.

How SA’s automotive sector is navigating COVID-19 headwinds

Demand uncertainty in equipment manufacturers and aftermarket environments is causing a devastating impact on the automotive sector, amid COVID-19. With a reported survey indicating revenue shortfalls along the value chain, what does the future of South Africa's automotive sector look like? CNBC Africa spoke to Lance Schultz, Chief Executive Officer at Gauteng, Automotive Industry Development Centre, to find out if there is any moderation to the sector's plans....

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up for free newsletters and get more CNBC AFRICA delivered to your inbox

- Advertisement -